Working towards zero food waste
Zero Food Waste Initiative
One big focus for Save-On-Foods is Food Waste. In 2017, we launched a formal effort to reduce Food Waste and measure our results — with a goal to cut food waste in half by 2025.
We achieved that goal in June of this year. Now, we have a new target of zero food waste in the next 3 years. In order to reach this, we are focused on eliminating all possible aspects of waste being sent to landfill.
Our company has adopted three approaches to our food recovery efforts:
- Prevent surplus and potentially wasted food
- Respond to food waste reduction performance
- Divert to best and highest use
To make this possible, Save-On-Foods is collaborating with BC-based organizations FoodMesh and Loop Resource Program — which divert unsellable food to the local food bank and area farms. Food that previously would have been waste first goes to local food kitchens and food banks. Then, if it’s not suitable for human consumption, it is donated to local farms to be used as animal feed.
A commitment to conservation
The leading edge of waste reduction for 30+ years
- 1Eliminate food waste by 2022.
- 2Growing contributions to the circular economy: working collaboratively with local and provincial leadership to build greater connections to the circular economy that build economic independence and climate change impacts
- 3Building stronger climate change response systems: Save-On-Foods will work with local and provincial organizations to build greater support and response systems as increased impacts of climate change affect communities across the country.
How we’re bringing our commitments to life
A leader in energy conservation