Digital flyers – eliminating over 8 million lbs of paper waste
Working towards zero food waste
Zero Food Waste Initiative
One big focus for Save-On-Foods is Food Waste. In 2017, we launched a formal effort to reduce Food Waste and measure our results — with a goal to cut food waste in half by 2025.
We achieved that goal in June 2018 and set a new target of zero food waste to landfill by 2022. As of June 2022, 100% of our stores have adopted the best practices that will help us achieve this goal and we are over 90% of the way there. In order to reach this, we are focused on eliminating all possible aspects of waste being sent to landfill.
Our company has adopted three approaches to our food recovery efforts:
- Prevent surplus and potentially wasted food
- Respond to food waste reduction performance
- Divert to best and highest use
To make this possible, Save-On-Foods is collaborating with BC-based organizations FoodMesh and Loop Resource Program — which divert unsellable food to the local food bank and area farms. Food that previously would have been waste first goes to local food kitchens and food banks. Then, if it’s not suitable for human consumption, it is donated to local farms to be used as animal feed.
A commitment to conservation
The leading edge of waste reduction for 30+ years
- 1Eliminate food waste by 2023
- 2Contribute to the circular economy in collaboration with our partners, innovators, and local and provincial leadership
- 3Work with local and provincial organizations to build a stronger response system as climate change increasingly impacts communities across the country, while continuing to lower the carbon footprint of our operations.
How we’re bringing our commitments to life
Ocean Wise and Save-On-Foods team-up to help households take action against plastic pollution
A leader in energy conservation